Disclaimer: This is a strategy we only use for clients who explicitly request it. As an agency who primarily specialises in white hat link building services, we always formulate a link building plan of action with our clients before we begin any campaign.
This guide reveals how we build ‘quick win’ backlinks. If we’re struggling to build links for certain clients or websites, there’s 2 great strategies we can use to get fast, quality links.
- Quick Win Guest Posts
- Link Insertions
Quick Win Guest Posts
Below is an exact copy of the internal checklist we use:
- Curate a Master Database – Refer to our master database and project management files for link opportunities – We have literally thousands in there. The database includes a full list of domains that we’ve worked with, complete with metrics, notes, niche information and guidelines. This should give you a ton of ideas.
- Cherry Pick Opportunities – You have hundreds of guest post opportunities at your finger tips with email addresses for each website, and you can view previous email conversations on Pitchbox (our outreach CRM) to see how the guest post was negotiated and closed.
- Consider Paid Options – Of course we prefer free guest posts on high quality websites. However, if we notice a paid post opportunity that represents good value for money, we may opt to select that since these will get published faster and we can be more selective over anchor texts.
- Set Up Outreach Campaign – Now, simply take all of the websites you’re interested in contacting and create a new custom outreach campaign in Pitchbox, tailored for our new target website. Set up the outreach campaign with data personalization points (we want it to be pristine) and launch the campaign
- New Niche, New Campaign – REMEMBER, if you’re contacting sites in a few different niches, it’s a good idea to set up separate outreach campaigns for each niche, since the outreach email will be designed to target one specific niche e.g. Health, Fitness, Technology, Business etc.
- Close Links – Wait for responses (they normally come very quickly with this type of campaign) and close links.
Top Tip: To speed up the process significantly, have a dedicated content writer churn out large amounts of high quality guest post content. That’s exactly what we do for our end to end guest posting services.
Image Below: Curate a master database as you scale your outreach campaigns. You’ll thank yourself down the line!
KEY BENEFIT – The response rate is extremely high for these campaigns, since we already know they like guest posts, or like people paying them for guest posts.
Link Insertions – Existing Content
This link building strategy is extremely underrated and allows us to get links in existing content articles for very cheap.
Remember all those times we showed people content and they asked for some cash? Those are the guys we want, provided their websites are good quality.
Appeal to Laziness
If you were a website owner, would you rather chat in depth with a writer about a post subject, spend time editing the article, formatting and posting? Or would you rather take instant cash to your PayPal account and stick a link in an existing article?
With this method we’re making things very simple and easy for the webmaster. We’re finding a relevant blog post on their website and we’re showing them exactly where to add our link.
How Do I find People for This?
There’s 3 ways to find people for this:
- Grab paid guest post opportunities – Just like the technique above, If someone’s willing to take money for a guest post, then there’s almost 100% chance they’re willing to take money for a link insertion, which is even easier for them to complete.
- Check the database – Check our pitchbox database and the ‘opportunities’ tab on our project management sheets and master database – there’s hundreds of opportunities there. I’ll say it again – Remember all those times we showed people a piece of content and they asked for an ‘editorial fee’? Since we log all opportunities in our database (even if we don’t pursue them) we have a large library. That’s who we can contact.
- Launch a new outreach campaign – We simply go to relevant websites on our niche, identify the page on their website that we’d like a link from and offer them some cash. We can even pay them up front via PayPal!
Below: Classic link insertion request
IMPORTANT NOTE: For these methods, we NEVER want to reveal our URL unless we know a deal can be negotiated. This is because some webmasters are against this style of link building and we want to protect ourselves from negative publicity – That’s why we would never write an email from an account tied to our domain asking to pay someone for a link insertion.
HOW TO NEGOTIATE & CLOSE LINK INSERTIONS
Important – For these links, we don’t ever pay more than $50 for a link. We want to keep the price between $20-30 as much as possible.
Step 1) Get a price
If the website asks what our budget is, play dumb. Get them to make the first move and give a price. You can say something like “I’m not head of this department, can you tell me how much guest posts are and I’ll check with them”
Step 2) Negotiate
They might come back and say $80 for a guest post. At this point we play the ‘pity party’ approach and let them know we simply can’t afford it. I’d love to make it happen but my manager won’t agree, as we’ve been paying a lot less lately. However, take a timid and friendly approach….
Then suggest something which might make things a whole lot easier for them…
Instead of a guest post, we ask them if we can do a link insertion instead.
It makes life easier for them – they don’t have to review content, they can do it instantly and it’s completely hassle free.
Step 3) CLOSE THE DEAL
As soon as they agree to a link insertion offer – we go aggressive on them. Ask them for their PayPal address and tell them we’ll pay within the next few hours. Note: At this stage you HAVE NOT yet revealed what site they’ll be linking to. We always negotiate the deal and the price and conclude payment before sending them the URL and anchor texts.
Another option: If we’re launching a new campaign, we don’t always have to go in pretending we want a guest post.
Once we’ve established some communication we can say “Could you perhaps do a link insertion into an existing post for $20? Just send me your PayPal address and I’ll get that sent before you wake up” – and always get them to accept before they see the website in question, especially if it’s in a trickier niche.
SUPER TOP TIP
Check the Ahrefs profile for the website in question, and see if they’ve got some articles with backlinks pointing to them. If we can get a link on an article that already has backlinks going to it, it’s going to be even more powerful for us. Far better than a link in a completely new guest post.
TOPICAL RELEVANCE – Take it Further
Everyone knows that link relevancy is a key facet of link building. You want to build links from content, articles and websites that make sense.
When you’re doing link insertions, you want to find content that’s super relevant to the article you want a link for.
Let’s say we want to build links to a page called “The best pre workout supplements” – We’re going to want to find fitness, nutrition and health blogs right?
But it doesn’t stop there, we want to try and find content within those blogs which focus on “pre workout” and “supplements”.
How do you do this? Simple – Just go through your target websites and search their existing content for keywords that you’re looking for….
Search using keywords like:
- Pre workout supplements
- Pre workout
More often that not, we’ll find relevant topics already published on the target website…
If there’s nothing super relevant, try to at least find something somewhat relevant. If you still can’t find anything, drop the website and move on.
There’s plenty more fish in the sea.
How To Get Anchor Text Right
Firstly, review our guide on how to do anchor texts right for internal pages and home pages – You need education in what makes up a solid, safe link profile that actually ranks web pages.
There’s a fantastic resource on Diggity Links which explains this in even more detail: Read it here & bookmark.
How to give instructions to webmasters on link placements:
- Referring URL: https://ohgizmo.com/2012/02/13/diy-airsoft-gun-costs-15-to-make-unleashes-fury-of-pellets/
- Target URL: https://www.realairsoftshop.com/guns (fictitious website)
- “with nothing more than around $15 in easily available parts.”
- “with nothing more than around $15 in easily available parts. Of course, if you have cash to spend on a real Airsoft gun, it’s going to set you back over $500.”
- Anchor text: a real airsoft gun
Natural Placement – The most important thing is that the link seems very natural! Imagine we had showed a webmaster a piece of content and asked them to link to it in their article…How would they link to it?
If the link does not look or feel 100% natural, we don’t want it. “If the link does not look or feel 100% natural, we don’t want it”
Note: Sometimes you might want to request adding the link within an entirely new sentence in the article, so just specify where you’d like to add that in.
The End Result
This is an extremely easy way to build a ton of relevant links fast. We’re selecting the pages we want links from and we’re getting the perfect anchor texts that we want on highly relevant web pages.